Salads are a great way to have both a low-calorie meal and plenty of fresh vegetables. A chicken waldorf salad combines the good fat from avocado and pecans with lean protein and fibre-rich greens for a perfectly balanced choice nutritionally.
- 70g (1/2 cup) pecans
- 2 x 250g packets smoked chicken breast fillets, skin removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 avocados, halved, stone removed, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 green apples, cored, halved, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 x 80g pkts baby rocket leaves
- 65g (1/4 cup) good quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 30ml (1/8 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp honey
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the pecans over a baking tray. Cook in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
2) Meanwhile, to make the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, chives and honey in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
3) Place the chicken, avocado, apple, celery, rocket and pecans in a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
4) Spoon salad over a platter. Drizzle with oil dressing serve.
Nutritionals per serve
370 cal per serve / 1500 kJ; 32g total protein; 16g total carbs; 15g total fat; 4g sat fat; 250mg sodium
Source: Lose Weight Fast by dietitian Susie Burrell. RRP $27.95.
Please note this information was correct at time of printing.
For up to date information, speak to your doctor.Source: Autumn 2012 Edition | Page 2
Email to a friend Printer Friendly Version