Good news at last about exercise!
|Recent research has shown that even gentle exercise leads to better health. You do not need to puff and sweat to get the many health benefits from exercise!
Some of the proven health effects of exercise include:
How much exercise?
· Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and bowel cancer
· Lower blood pressure
· Improved cholesterol levels
· Lowered stress and better sleep
· Weight reduction
· Stronger bones (less osteoporosis
The National Heart Foundation recommends that we all get 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise on most, preferably all, days of the week. A number of short bursts of activity of at least 10 minutes at different times during the day are as effective as a longer continuous session.
What type of exercise?
Moderate activity such as brisk walking is adequate for most people. Vigorous activity is no longer thought to be necessary to improve your health.
Firstly, look for ways to introduce small amounts of exercise into your daily routine. For example, climb stairs instead of using the lift, walk to work or to the shops, get off the bus a few stops early or take the dog for a walk.
Otherwise, walk regularly or participate in a sport. Brisk walking is the most popular form of exercise and is suitable for just about everyone. Swimming, cycling, jogging, tennis and golf are also ideal.
Tips for exercise
Why not start exercising this summer? If you haven’t exercised for a while, have a checkup first, especially if you have a strong family history of heart disease, are a man over 35 or woman over 45, have high blood pressure, heart disease or some other health problem.
· Start gently and build it up gradually over several weeks
· Exercise with family or friends
· Choose a variety of activities
· Do exercise that you enjoy
· Warm up and stretch before exercise and cool down afterwards
· Don’t overdo it. Be able to talk comfortably while exercising.
Please note this information was correct at time of printing.
For up to date information, speak to your doctor.Source: Summer 1997 Edition | Page 2
Email to a friend Printer Friendly Version
Search all articles
Search topics by A-Z
Search by keywords